Thursday, October 21, 2010

Facebook Frenzy

I am amazed by the Facebook frenzy that has swept the country in the last few years. Everyone is on Facebook or so it seems. I was slow to get on board at first. When a friend sent me an invitation to join about two years ago, I didn't really know what it was all about. Now, I'm addicted to it!

On my birthday this week, I received 75 to 100 birthday wishes on my Facebook wall. I heard from old friends and new friends, former co-workers and friends from church. I even heard from my very first pastor, who came to the hospital when I was born. He likes to joke that he was there when "Christopher discovered America."

It's fun to hear from so many friends. Right now, I have about 380 Facebook friends on my page. I didn't think I even knew that many people! And the number keeps growing. Every few days or so, I hear from another friend from my past.

For me, Facebook is a good way to communicate with friends. I don't like to talk on the phone because people can't understand me sometimes. But Facebook lets me talk and interact in a whole new way. I can shoot the bull with the best of them now.

When it comes right down to it, Facebook is a whole lot of talking about nothing. But that's what makes it fun. I like to insert my political comments. Some people love to read them. Others hate them. It's also a place where you can post a Bible verse or a word of encouragement. You never know who might really need to read it.

It's not just a social network for young people. Older folks are joining in, too. I still can't get my mom to join, but maybe some day she will. If you're not one of my Facebook friends, look me up. I'll be glad to add you. You can never have too many friends, even on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment