Thursday, October 7, 2010

Easy Living

I learned a long time ago that there's no such thing as easy living, but there are ways to make living easier. I went to an Independent Living seminar last week, where they gave tips to help older people and people with disabilities. It was interesting. I picked up several good ideas.

Three speakers gave presentations to show us ways to make daily living chores a little easier. The first speaker had a table full of products and gadgets for making housework simpler. He showed some bowls that have a non-skid surface on the bottom to keep the dish from sliding around when you're eating. I already use something similar to that. I have non-skid placemats that keep any dish from sliding.

I saw one gadget that I could use. It's a device that you attach to a lamp, so the lamp turns on and off by touch. These are not new, but I hadn't thought about getting one before. I went to Wal-Mart and got one, and it has made it easier for me to turn on the lamp beside my bed, especially at night.

Another speaker demonstrated the safe way to transfer from a wheelchair or scooter to the car. She said you should never grab onto the car door to pull yourself up. The door could swing back and cause you to fall. From a safety point, that's probably good advice. But in the heat of the moment when you're trying to get yourself into that car, trust me, you'll grab onto anything you can!

I admit I use the door to pull myself up. But my scooter is positioned up against the door, so the door can't swing back on me. I've tried other ways to transfer, but using the door to pull up works best for me. Sometimes, you just have to do what works best for you. That's what I tell my physical therapists. They say I scare them when I get on and off of my scooter. But, hey, it works for me.

The speakers had a lot of helpful hints, and I learned some things at the seminar. I'm glad there are gadgets out there to make things easier.

But even if these things weren't available, I know I can count on God to help me. HE is my ever-present help. I call on Him many times throughout the day, and He always comes to my aid. I couldn't make it one day without Him. I'll use all the gadgets, but my trust will remain in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment