Tuesday, October 19, 2010

42

Another year has passed. I turned 42 today. The years go by so fast. I remember two years ago when my family gave me that over-the-hill turning 40 party. I didn't dread turning 40 the way some people do. After all, it's just another number. I have learned to take one day at a time and trust in the Lord each day.

The past year has brought a lot of changes to my life. It was just after my last birthday when I officially quit my job at the newspaper. That was in November. Then, in February, I left Amarillo -- where I had lived for 17 years -- and moved back to my hometown.

Coming back to Pampa was a big change, but I have adjusted well. I am near my family. I'm happy. And things are going well.

I have a home health-care aide who comes to help me several mornings a week. She's great. She said that before she started working for me she was worried that I would always be sad or depressed. She wasn't sure she wanted to take the job. She did, though, and said she was surprised by how cheerful I am every morning.

I have no reason to be sad. Life is not depressing to me because my hope is in the Lord. HE gives me joy each day.

The key to happiness is placing your hope in God. The apostle Paul said he had learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

I learned to be happy and content when I came to realize that God has given me in my present circumstances everything I need to be victorious in Him. My circumstances did not take God by surprise. He knew I would come to this place in life, and He has everything I need to live a happy, fulfilled life.

Learning to live triumphantly over changing situations comes from Christ's power living in us. This doesn't come naturally. It only comes through total dependence on Christ. He is my strength, and "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:13)!

No comments:

Post a Comment