Friday, October 8, 2010

Blast From The Past

It was classic. Classic country, that is. Country music legend Don Williams was in Amarillo this week, and I went to the concert. I have missed going to concerts since I moved from Amarillo. I waited all year for that one special concert to come to town so I could go back, and this was it. It was definitely worth making the trip.

Don Williams is one of my all-time favorite country singers. He's not much of a conversationalist on stage, and his shows don't have all the flashy lights and glitz that most concerts have these days. But he brought back some of the good ol' oldies, which are favorites of people of all ages.

Isn't it funny how the words of songs instantly come back to our mind when a song starts, even if we haven't heard the song in years? That's the way it was at this concert. People were singing along with these great old songs by Don Williams.

Local musician Andy Chase opened the show. He was great, too. He does a lot of fun songs, like "Home Grown Tomatoes" and my favorite Andy Chase song, "Portales Alice." He had the crowd pumped when Don took the stage.

I went over a little early and had dinner at Cracker Barrel. That's another thing I miss about Amarillo: the restaurants. I met up with my cousin and a couple of old friends at the restaurant. Then, I saw some other friends at the concert. That was an added bonus to an already great night!

Mom worried about me being on the highway alone at night. I keep telling her that cars have these new-fangled things on them called headlights. I actually like driving at night. Besides, I'm not really alone. God is with me.

It was a fun night. The next day, I dug out some of my old Don Williams tapes and started playing them. I have several boxes of old cassette tapes. Remember cassettes? Besides Don Williams, I found my tapes by the Oak Ridge Boys, Kenny Rogers and other country legends, and I've been enjoying hearing them again. So thanks for the memories, Don!

No comments:

Post a Comment