Friday, September 17, 2010

It's A Start

You have to start somewhere if you're going to get anywhere. It has been a little over a year since I have walked. After a lot of thinking and praying, I decided to go ahead with physical therapy. I've been twice so far. I know it could be a long process, but at least I've made a start toward my goal of walking again.

I've taken physical therapy off and on pretty much my entire life. At times, I think it has helped, but some of the exercises really don't work for me. My hamstring muscles are tight, so the therapists always start off by stretching these muscles. But the muscles will always be tight, partly because my celebral palsy causes me to tighten up when I move to compensate for my weakened balance and coordination.

Still, the therapists insist on trying these stretching exercises. This week, I had two therapists working on me. Besides the regular therapist, there was a student intern. I felt like a lab experiment with both of them pulling on me.

I like them both, though, and they really want to help me walk again. I just get impatient sometimes. I guess I try to rush things. Yesterday, I asked when I could try to take a few steps. They explained that I had to do the exercises first to get my muscles ready to walk because some of the muscles have been dormant for a year now.

I understand and know that's true. They did let me stand up and try to put weight on my legs. It felt pretty good. I was able to stand and hold onto parallel bars. The main thing is going to be trying to keep my ankle from turning over when I walk. I still may need a leg brace. But we're not at that point yet.

At least it's a start. There's a long road ahead, but I know if I do my part, then God is faithful to complete the work. I'm trusting in Him and believe with all my heart that He WILL see me through!

No comments:

Post a Comment