Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Digital Age

I don't read newspapers much anymore. That's quite a change for me after working for a newspaper and having to read the paper every day for nearly 17 years. Newspapers just don't interest me much anymore. I'm still the news junky I've always been, but there are so many other ways to get the news these days.

The Internet has changed the newspaper industry greatly. More and more, newspapers are using the Internet to attract readers and provide more up-to-the-minute news.

The Amarillo Globe-News recently launched its new and expanded Web site. It has some neat new features. It even has profiles of all of the reporters and editors. Most reporters and editors also have blogs on the new site. They didn't have all of that when I worked there.

I think it's a great way to personalize the news. Readers feel like they know the reporters. I like it because I can keep up with some of my friends and former co-workers at the paper.

Amarillo's other newspaper, The Independent, has done away with its print edition altogether and is now just online. The Indy has always been far too liberal for me. But when it's not attacking conservatives or the Globe-News, it does have some good investigative pieces, It's worth a quick look sometimes.

For the truth, though, I usually look to Web sites like World Net Daily and the Drudge Report for news about mainstream issues. And, of course, there's Fox News, which I'm addicted to.

Newspapers still have a place, even in this digital age. But as readership dies off with the older population and the younger generation turns to other forms of media, it will be harder for newspapers to survive. Will newspapers ever go away completely? Some smaller papers might, but I think larger ones will still be around for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment