Monday, May 3, 2010

Monday Musings

One of the things I miss most about Amarillo is the concerts. Amarillo sees its share of big name country and gospel artists, and I loved going to see them (when the price was right, of course). I have missed out on several big concerts that have come through town just since I left there.

So I was excited when I heard that Gordon Mote was coming to Pampa. That's a big deal for little ol' Pampa town.

Gordon Mote is an awesome piano player and gospel singer. Besides being the pianist for all of the Gaither Homecoming concerts and videos, he also plays in recording sessions for many country music stars. He is the most requested keyboard player in Nashville.

Did I mention he is blind? He is. That's what makes him even more amazing. He was born blind and started playing the piano when he was about 3! It's really amazing to see and hear him. He mixes a country flavor with his gospel music.

Gordon was in Lubbock with the Gaithers on Saturday, and he brought his solo concert to Pampa before going to Amarillo for another solo concert. He keeps a busy schedule, and it was great to see him right here in Pampa.

***********

When I left Amarillo, I didn't think I'd have a chance to continue my newsletter. But now, after only a brief break, I am going to get to do the newsletter for our church: New Life Assembly of God. It's called Lifelines, and the first issue came out yesterday.

I am excited and thankful that they are allowing me the opportunity to do this. I will be writing an article, and it will have a message from Pastor Ben and announcements about the church.

I have Bro. Linney to thank for getting me started in the newsletter business when I attended his church in Amarillo. That was in 2004, and the newsletter has continued in one form or another since then. It evolved into the Word on the Street newsletter in 2006 when we used it in a street ministry to the homeless.

I'm glad that I will get to keep writing, and I hope it will be a blessing to others.


*************

I have been debating this gal on the radio. She is one of those "birthers" and insists that Barack Obama was born outside the U.S. because he won't show his birth certificate.

Now, I detest Obama as much as anyone, but I don't believe he was born in Kenya like this radio host says constantly. I sent her an e-mail to counter her argument. She shot me an e-mail back and the debate ensued.

Bill O'Reilly investigated this on his TV show, and he found the actual birth announcement from 1961 that appeared in two major newspapers in Hawaii. I pointed out to this twit on the radio that it's impossible to go back to 1961 to manufacture a fake birth announcement. Besides, if there was even a chance that this was true, don't you think the Republicans would be raising cain to expose it? It's simply not true.

Of course, radio girl is entitled to her own opinion. No matter how wrong she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment