Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Weekend Update

I had a very uplifting weekend, and I needed it.  With all the bad news and violence in the headlines, it's downright depressing to watch the news or read the paper these days.  It's almost scary, hearing about the attacks on police and violent protests.  It starts to take its toll on you after a while.  I needed an emotional escape.

I got that emotional pick-me-up when I went over to the theater Friday night to see War Room.  I was actually surprised that our small local movie theater was even showing the movie.  The last two Christian-themed movies -- Left Behind  and Do You Believe? -- never made it to Pampa.  So I was excited when I went to the theater's web site Friday morning and saw that War Room was playing here.

War Room shows how our prayer life can change things.  When we get in our "prayer closet" and pray fervently, it will change us.  The "prayer closet" becomes our war room, where we call on God to change a situation or circumstances.

From the producers of Fireproof and Courageous, War Room is a compelling drama with humor and heart that explores the power that prayer can have on marriages, parenting, careers, friendships and every other area of our lives.  Everyone should see this movie.

My uplifting weekend continued Sunday at the opening night of the citywide Celebration of Hope crusade.  It was awesome to see hundreds of people fill the football stadium at the high school to praise God.  Evangelist Rick Gage brought a message of hope to Pampa.  Jesus is our hope, and without Him, we have no hope of salvation.  The four-night Go-Tell crusade is aimed at reaching the lost and showing them that Jesus is the only way to God.  Many responded to the altar call and went down to make a commitment to the Lord.

The evangelist said something that shocked me.  He said less than 10 percent of teen-agers today go to church and have a personal relationship with Christ.  That number just shocked me!  Wednesday night, the last night of the crusade, will be youth night.  I'm just praying that youths will come and that their lives will be changed by the message of hope.

It was a very good weekend, and I'm excited about all that's happening in Pampa.  I hope you all have a great week and experience God in some way this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment