Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Time Out

It's easy to get caught up in so many things, especially at this time of year. I love Christmas time! I love the food, the lights, the food, the presents, the food. . . well, you get the idea. It's a great and fun season, but a lot of people get so busy and anxious about everything that they forget what Christmas is really about. They don't take time out to enjoy the holiday.

I saw those crazy shoppers on Black Friday, running around just to try to save a few dollars on the latest gadget. A lady actually used pepper spray at Walmart because someone was about to get the item she wanted. Another woman left her five kids, including a 1-year-old, in the car for three hours while she waited in line for a store to open. Those people are crazy!

I wonder what God thinks when we do crazy things like that? And why don't people get that fired up about the real meaning of Christmas: The birth of Jesus.

Christmas should be about celebrating Him. Really, we should do that every day. I like the way The Message Bible says it in Philippians: "Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, REVEL in Him!"

That's what it's all about. Revel in God and what He means to us. Instead of worrying about finding the perfect Christmas gift, turn the focus back on God. You'll be amazed how much better the holiday will be when you focus on the right things.

The Message puts it like this: "Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life" (Philippians 4:6-7).

Take a timeout and think about the things that really matter. For me, that's God and being together with family and the ones I love. What's most important to you? Think on those things, and this can be the best Christmas ever!

1 comment:

  1. ...when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life...wow! I think I'll carry that one with me all day.

    ReplyDelete