Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Day in the Life

Here it is December. Only one month left in the year! People always say that the years go by so fast, and that seems to be true to me, too. This year has gone by especially fast for me.

When I had to stop working, I thought I'd be lost, wondering what to do all day. But I haven't been bored at all. I've found a routine. I have to have a routine. Even when I was working, I followed the same routine. I work much better when things are the same day to day.

I'm a little more flexible now. I'll change my plans if something else comes up. Still, I like my routine. Here's a look at a typical day in my life's journey:

I still get up pretty early, around 7 or 7:30. That's when I like to have my quiet time, where I can pray and read the Bible before I really get the day started. I also have a radio devotional program that I listen to in the mornings. These things all help prepare me for the day.

I have a home-care aide who comes three mornings a week. She gets here at 8:30 or 9. I have my breakfast then while I watch 'Regis and Kelly.' I don't watch much daytime television, but I enjoy that show.

Around 10 or so, I get on the computer. I read e-mails and look at Facebook. That's also when I do my writing, either this blog or work on the monthly newsletter that I coordinate for my church. I'm glad that I have the time to write now. I didn't do much writing when I was working because I was too busy or too tired. So I'm enjoying doing what I've always wanted to do: write.

I have lunch about 1. The aide makes foods that I can just warm up and eat. After lunch, I like to get out of the house for a while. I may go to the store or do errands. Sometimes, I just ride my scooter around in the neighborhood. It helps to get out.

After that, since I've been sitting on my scooter most of the day, I like to stretch out on the bed so I can put my legs up. Sometimes, I have a short nap but mostly I listen to talk radio. I have to have my daily fix of talk radio, you know! I usually get back on the computer again in the afternoons, especially if I have something to work on.

I try to catch the local news at 6. Then, I warm up supper and eat while I watch TV. By this time, I'm usually pretty tired, so I settle in for my nightly double-header on Fox News: 'O'Reilly Factor' and 'Hannity.' This keeps me entertained, and informed, most of the evening. Then, I turn in after the late local news.

So, that's my day. It doesn't sound too exciting, I know, but if I can manage to stay active, spend some time with my family and friends and enjoy the blessings of God, I think it's a pretty good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment