Monday, April 19, 2010

Singing A Different Tune

Last night was the 45th annual Academy of Country Music awards on TV. I switched it on a time or two, but I didn't recognize many of the names or groups. Who is Lady Antebellum anyway?

I used to be a big country music fan. I listened to it on the radio all the time, and I had a ton of cassettes. (Do you young folks even know what cassette tapes are?) I also have been to quite a few country concerts through the years. The most memorable was Garth Brooks' outdoor concert at the Dilla Villa stadium in Amarillo. It was awesome!

But I've found something better. More and more, I find myself listening to praise and worship music on the radio and in the car. It just makes me feel better, and it is more encouraging than the honky-tonk songs.

When I was in Amarillo, I had a lot of choices for Christian stations. There's K-Love and Air-1, Family Life Radio, American Family Radio and Radio by Grace. There's also the fledgling Kingdom Keys Network, which is based in Amarillo.

So I was happy when I moved to Pampa and found that K-Love has a translator here, and I could still hear K-Love. But my mornings just weren't the same because I couldn't hear Family Life Radio's morning show with the husband-wife team Dave and Michelle Dawson.

I have been listening to Dave and Michelle's America's Breakfast Table program for several years. It's very uplifting, and the hosts are entertaining. I also like the Bible Quiz, which is a part of the show.

I was disappointed that I couldn't pick up the station on my portable stereo or any of the radios in the house. But I have a semi-antique radio that belonged to my Grandmother Ely. It a big RCA radio that I used to play when I went to her house. It must be 30 years old or older. I happened to attach an antennae to it recently, and behold my Family Life Radio station came in loud and clear.

So now I can hear Dave and Michelle again when I'm waking up in the mornings. It is encouraging and helps me start my day focusing on the Lord. It makes a difference in my day, and I thank God for Christian radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment