Friday, April 23, 2010

Remembering A Friend

He has fought the good fight. He has kept the faith, and he finished his race strong.

After a nearly two-year battle with cancer, Bruce Beck crossed the finish line into heaven on Thursday night. I am sad over the loss of my friend, but I am happy that he isn't suffering any more.

Bruce lived passionately in all of life. A devoted husband, doting father and grandfather, his family was most important to him. He was a loyal employee, working 29 years as a writer and editor at the Amarillo Globe-News with perfect attendance. He was great writer. He drew readers into his stories and column with his conversation style of writing. You really felt like you knew Bruce when you read his column.

Bruce was known throughout the community because of his wide coverage of the city's schools and organizations. And he was a man of great faith. He kept his never-say-quit attitude even as cancer stole more and more of his life.

I could go on and on about him. He was truly a wonderful man. But what I will remember most about Bruce is his sense of humor and that smile he always had on his face. When I think of him today and in the weeks and months to come, I will picture him with that smile.

I believe he is smiling down on us from heaven now. Rest in peace, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment