Monday, March 29, 2010

Blooming Idiots

I am discovering that life in small-town Pampa may not be quite as dull as I had imagined. I had a pretty active weekend.

A friend from my school days, Greg, came over Friday night for a guys night. It was fun catching up after so many years. We ordered pizza and watched a couple of videos. Real party animals, aren't we? HA!

Greg and I used to hang out together in high school. We ate lunch together our freshman year and then he would help me down the steps. The steps were steep, so he walked down with me to make sure I made it all right. He was a good friend to me all through high school. We also had a couple of classes together at Clarendon College.

It's been fun to get re-acquainted with him now.

On Saturday, I checked out a singles group in town. I was nervous about going, but a friend sent me an invitation. It turned out to be a lot of fun. It was a Blooming Idiots theme party. Everyone dressed like a flower or with flowers on them.

Fortunately, I didn't know about the theme until I got there. (I wouldn't have made a good flower.) The meal was good, though, and we played board games. Yes, more partying. HA!

I met some nice people there. I don't know if I will go back. Most of them were older than me. Hey, maybe I can find an older woman! You think?

The weekend wrapped up with a good service on Palm Sunday. The pastor even used my scooter to help with an illustration in his sermon. I rode it across the front of the church to represent Jesus riding into Jerusalem on the donkey while two women waved palm branches (which were really greenery from the baptistery). Pastor Ben called it a low budget pageant. Maybe so, but it was a good sermon.

Now we head into Holy Week. I hope we will all take some time this week to reflect on Jesus and the sacrifice he made for us and then celebrate his resurrection on Easter morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment