Monday, March 8, 2010

Bruce Beck

My thoughts today are with a dear friend and his family. I learned last week that my former co-worker Bruce Beck's cancer has spread to his brain. He has fought this disease with such determination and braveness for more than a year. He has had many ups and downs in his battle.

Over the weekend, Bruce had a seizure. He fell out of bed and broke his wrist. I learned that he will start home hospice care when he gets out of the hospital.

It breaks my heart because Bruce is such a wonderful person.

I wrote some thoughts in 2008 when I first heard about Bruce. I want to re-post those thoughts here.

****

A friend and co-worker was diagnosed with cancer. Bruce is a great guy. A friend to everyone. Our desks used to be next to each other in the newsroom, so we talked quite a bit. Well, mostly he talked. But he made a real effort to understand me with my speech impediment.

Bruce is a true friend.

When I moved to a new apartment once, I asked several guys in the newsroom if they could help. Bruce is the only one who showed up. He borrowed one of the newspaper’s big delivery trucks, and he and my dad moved me in no time.

Over the years, with all the shuffling around of the newsroom, I don’t talk to Bruce as much now. He works a different job, and I’m still on the copy desk. In fact, I might not even know he’s around except for the fact that every day, like clock works, Bruce lets out a string of eight sneezes. . . in a row. Every day.

We have learned to withhold our collective “bless you” until he gets that final sneeze out.

The day before Bruce went to the hospital, we happened to be leaving work at the same time.

We walked out together, talking and joking. I didn’t know he was going in for tests the next morning.

I know Bruce is going to be all right. I believe it. He has to be.

*****

And I'm still believing for a miracle for Bruce today.

No comments:

Post a Comment