Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Are You Happy?

I read an interesting poll question on one of the blogs I follow. The question was: "Are you happy with your life right now?"

Wow. That made me stop and think.

With all of the changes in my life in the last six months, I have experienced a wide range of emotions. Everything from joy and peace to fear and doubt.

If you had told me a year ago that I would not be working and that I would be living in Pampa today, I wouldn't have believed you. That's just not what I had planned for my life. Yet, that's the situation I find myself in today.

I knew I would not be able to work until retirement age. My physical condition makes that nearly impossible. But I had hoped to work at least a few more years. I was aiming for three more years. Then, I would have had 20 years in at the Globe-News. I figured that would be a good milestone to reach.

Well, I didn't quite make it. Physically, I just couldn't do it anymore. I have been "slowing down" for a few years now. I had to start using my scooter more instead of walking and I began to get tired more easily. I'm not walking at all now, and the therapist says I would need some kind of braces on my feet if I did walk.

That has curtailed my daily activity a lot. I now need help to do simple tasks like getting dressed. It has been hard for me to accept this because I worked so hard to gain my independence. I have to rely on others, and I hate that.

So back to the poll question: Am I happy with my life?

For the most part, I would say I am happy.

I truly believe God has a plan for my life, and as long as I am striving to follow his plan I know everything is going to be all right. God will take care of me. He knew I would face these obstacles, and he has surrounded me with a loving family and wonderful friends to help me.

No matter what happens, I know I can trust in God to see me through. He has never failed me! I'm thankful to be close to my family and to have their love and support.

And that makes me truly happy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment