Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Who Are You?

We know about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, but who are Ashkenaz, Riphath and Togarmah?

In my Bible reading this week, I've been stuck in the book of 1 Chronicles. It's a hard book to read. The first nine chapters are long lists of names and genealogies. It's the "Who's Who" list in the history of Israel.

As I read this, I wondered why I needed to read all these names! Why do I need to know the sons of Gomer are Ashkenaz, Riphath and Togarmah?  I can't even pronounce their names. I doubt I'll remember any of their names when I meet up with Gomer on the streets of heaven some day to ask him, "How's your son, Togarmah?"

So why are these lists even in the Bible and what's their relevance to us today?

These lists may be dry and boring to read, but they show us that God cares about us. He knows our names, just as He knows all the people who lived in Bible days. God knows each one of us personally, even down to the number of hairs on our head.

The Bible says God knew us before we were born. Psalm 139:16 says, "You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed."

It's amazing to think that who we are and what we do is written forever in God’s book. And if we belong to Him, our names have been recorded in the Lamb’s book of Life!

God knows who YOU are today! He knows where you've been and what you're going through right now. He knows it all. And He loves you and cares about your situation. You can call on Him in your time of need, and He WILL be there.

I'm glad I know God today, and I'm so thankful that He knows me!

No comments:

Post a Comment