Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What's on My Mind

People think it's a bad thing that Mitt Romney is rich. I'd like to have that problem! It's not a bad thing to be rich. It shows that Romney has worked hard and is successful. Who cares if he releases his tax returns? I'd rather see Obama and Congress release a budget.

****
The word is out... Dirty Harry Reid lives in the land of make-believe. But we already knew that.

****
Everyone wants to know who Romney will pick as his running mate. There are all the usual suspects: Rubio, Christie, Pawlenty, McDonnell, etc. I'll go out on a limb. I hope he picks Congressman Allen West. That would sure shake things up! After the way the media went nuts over Sarah Palin in '08, just imagine their reaction to West!

****
Call it a "Major" mistake. My hometown newspaper is making a lot of changes. In the last few months, it has hired a new publisher, a new editor and at least one new reporter. It's only natural that they would make a few mistakes. But you'd think they could get the mayor's name and title correct. Twice last week, the paper identified Mayor Brad Pingel as "Major Pingle." I sent the new reporter a friendly e-mail about the mistake. Apparently, a lot of other people did too.

****
I can't be too hard on the new reporter. I can relate. As a former copy editor, I made plenty of dumb mistakes, too. I even botched the name of Amarillo's first female mayor. But at least I didn't call her a "major."

****
Best wishes to the new publisher and new editor of our newspaper. He probably doesn't remember me, but the editor, Ben Tinsley, and I worked together at the Globe-News for a short time. In fact, I think we started work there on the same day in June 1992. He was a police reporter, and I was on the copy desk. Welcome to Pampa, Ben!

****
The heat wave continues, causing several area towns to issue water restrictions. This has confused a lot of people. Even-numbered addresses can water on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Odd-numbered houses can water on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Even-numbered houses occupied by odd people are simply out of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment