Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Telling It Like I See It

I'm in trouble.... AGAIN. I guess I was sharing too many details about our wild weekend in Oklahoma. HA! I got a lot of hits on my blog link. I even had offers from people willing to pay money for the pictures of Karen. (Call me, Alice. We can negotiate.)

Well, it's not the first time I've been in trouble for something I've written. Karen says I've lost some friends on Facebook because of my "opinionated" comments. Maybe I am a LITTLE opinionated on things like politics and religion. I'm just telling it like I see it.

It's true. I have been un-friended by some on Facebook who didn't like my opinions. I've been dropped by a lot of liberals.... a few atheists.... and probably a couple of cross-dressing vegetarians.... But, hey, this is America. We still have the right to free speech (despite Obama's efforts to silence Conservatives).

I haven't always been so outspoken, though. When I started writing, I was afraid to write anything controversial because I didn't want to offend anyone.

When I first became editor of my college newspaper, I had to write the editorial. I dreaded it every week. I didn't want to express my opinions because someone might disagree with me or I might offend someone. I would put off writing the editorial until the last minute before deadline. Sometimes, I drafted one of the other editors to write it. I was so afraid people would disagree with me.

In time, I came to enjoy writing my opinions. I'm sure I offended a few people (not on purpose, of course), and a whole lot of people called the paper to disagree with me. And that's their right. I know my opinion isn't the only opinion, and it may not always be the right opinion (although most of the time I AM right).

I still don't like to offend people. But sometimes you have to take a stand and speak out for what you believe in. So if I have offended anyone, let me just say as kindly and humbly as I can.... OH, GET OVER IT (or start your own blog and give me YOUR opinions)!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I've discovered is that some people find it easier to criticize than to articulate their own beliefs. Maybe it's because they know they would be unable to defend them. Keep outspeaking.

    ReplyDelete