Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What If...

Do you ever play "What if...?" What if you had made different choices in life? What if you had gone a different direction?

I watched a movie on TV last night that looks at the 'what ifs' of life. The movie follows an investment banker who gets a second chance at the life he could've had as a small-town preacher. The movie's main character, Ben Walker, believed he was called to preach and planned to go to seminary. Along the way, he became sidetracked and ended up in the business world as a very successful banking tycoon. He then takes a look back at 'what if' he had gone the other direction.

I guess we all have 'what if'' moments. I have. I've often wondered what I might have been if I hadn't been born with cerebral palsy. How would my life be different? I've also wondered what if I hadn't gone into journalism. With my passion for politics, maybe I would've been a congressman or senator... or maybe.... president! OK, maybe not.

It's natural to wonder 'what if' sometimes. But God doesn't make mistakes. He has a plan and a purpose for each of us.

Still, God's plan always involves choice. He gives us freewill to make choices in life and sometimes we choose to go our own way, like the man in the movie. Even when we walk away from God, He can turn it around for our good. He never gives up on us.

It's real easy to get sidetracked from what God wants for our lives. In the Bible, we see men and women say "no" to God's call — and then we see God work his will in their lives and lead them back. He goes on to do great things in their lives. He will do the same in us. No matter what we've done or where we've been, God will take us just as we are and put us on the right path.

When I have missed the mark in my life, I sometimes wish I could have a "do-over." But God doesn't want us to hold on to our mistakes or live in the past. Instead, He wants us to come to Him. If we have sinned, we should repent. If we have gone our own way, we should surrender to Him. He'll make all things right and give us a new start.

In Philippians, Paul says, "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Instead of asking "What if...," ask "What now?" Then allow God to lead you onward to the prize, which is heaven and an eternity with Him.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, wonder about the what ifs...but I couldn't imagine a life better than the one I've enjoyed up until now. God is good.

    ReplyDelete