Monday, August 8, 2011

Claim Your True Identity


There's a new reality TV show, "Who Do You Think You Are?", that takes celebrities on a quest to trace their family trees. Along the way, they learn some surprising facts about their ancestors. Sometimes, they find out they're not who they thought they were.

Before we come to God, we all may struggle to "find ourself" and discover our purpose in life. It can be a lifelong journey discovering your true identity — trying to learn who you are and what you were put on this earth to do.

For those who commit their lives to Jesus, we can be secure in who we are. The Bible is clear about who we are once we decide to follow God. It’s comforting to know exactly who God intends us to be:

I am forgiven. Before I accepted Jesus as my savior, I wasn’t proud of “who I was” or some of the things I did. But when I turned to God, I found forgiveness. Jesus came into my life and forgave my sins.

I am a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:17, "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone; the new has come!” Those who accept Jesus are made a new creation and become a part of God’s family. No matter what you have done in the past, you have a new start when you come to Christ.

I am a child of God. When we put out trust in God, we become children of God. “Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, he gave the right to become children of God (John 1:12).” I know that God will take care of me because He is my heavenly Father and will never leave me.

I am more than a conqueror. The world is full of trials and tribulations, but God’s Word says, “in all these things, we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us (Romans 8:37).” We can't do it on our own, but it is through God’s power that we will overcome this world and become victorious.

I'm also an heir. Romans 8:17 says, “Now if we are children, then we are heirs — heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ.”

What a promise! God has so many good things for His children, and when this life is over, we can know that we will spend eternity in heaven with Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment