Monday, April 4, 2011

Oh Baby...

The news is already out, so I'll announce it here, too... My niece is having a baby! Michelle and her husband made the 21-hour drive all the way from Florida to deliver the news in person. They were here only a few hours on Saturday before they had to start the long trip back.

So I'm going to be a great-uncle. And Karen's going to be a grandma! I love saying that. She doesn't want to be called 'Grandma' and is already trying to decide what she wants to be called. I can think of a few names... Granny, perhaps.

It was great to see them, even if they were here only a short time. I didn't even know they were coming until Saturday morning. They surprised us with the trip... and then their big news. I'm excited for them.

*****

On Sunday, I went to the first indoor wheelchair soccer match for a new organization here in Pampa. Wheel Times, Inc. is a wheelchair sports and recreation program for children with disabilities and their families. I was glad to go show my support for this new group. I think it's going to be great for the kids. I wish they'd had something like it when I was in school.

It was so neat to see the kids out there competing and having so much fun. They used a 42-inch beach ball for the game, and volunteers helped race the wheelchairs up and down the court. The kids got so excited when they scored a goal. There was a good turnout from the community, too. Lots of people came out to show support or volunteer.

The group is planning other activities, such as wheelchair softball/baseball and track and field events. Kudos to Brad Pingel for organizing this great group!

*****

I also saw a great movie this weekend, The Grace Card. It has a powerful message about playing the 'grace card,' instead of the 'race card.' Everyone should go see this movie.

Busy weekend. Crazy weekend. 90 degrees on Sunday and snow flurries and wind this morning. Only in the Panhandle!

No comments:

Post a Comment