Thursday, August 5, 2010

Walking By Faith

It was one year ago this week that I had a relapse and the muscles in my back and leg tightened up. I haven't been able to walk since. One year. I think that's long enough. I haven't given up . . . and I'll never give up hope of walking again.

I went to the neurologist yesterday for a three-month checkup. Since my condition hasn't changed much in the last year, we talked about my options for the future. He said my options are limited at this point. I can try physical therapy again or we can explore surgery.

I believe there's another option. I believe God can heal me, and I believe the work has already begun. I feel that my leg is getting stronger. I have been able to stand on it while holding on to a rail in my bathroom. I've been wanting to try to use parallel bars to try to walk.

I know God wants to heal me. Healing is a promise from God's Word, and I am claiming that promise.

God can use this situation for good. When something like this happens, our first response is usually "Why did this happen?" It's natural to have such questions. When Jesus and his disciples saw a man blind from birth, the disciples asked what caused the man to be born blind. Jesus told them "this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."

Rather than always looking for a reason, we should look instead for what God can do through a situation. He has a plan for us. We have to learn to walk by faith to fulfill the purposes He has for us.

I don't know what the future holds, but I have complete trust that God will work this out for good. Nothing is impossible for God. I just have to trust Him and literally keep walking by faith. And one day I will be back on my feet and able to walk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment