Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lifelong Learning

I learned a long time ago that being a Christian isn't a one-time decision. It's a lifelong process. There are many bumps along the way, but if we remain faithful until the end, it will all be worth it.

I grew up in church and made a commitment to Christ at a young age. But I didn't know what it really meant to live for Christ until much later in life. I always tried to "be good," but I discovered that's not enough. I could never be "good enough" to earn heaven. I needed God's saving grace.

When I started to really read and study the Bible a few years ago -- I hadn't been reading it regularly -- I saw that I had not been obedient. I was not doing all that God wanted me to do.

I made a new commitment to Christ, and I thought that all my "habits and hang-ups" would just disappear after that and I would be a model Christian. But it wasn't that easy. It was -- and continues to be -- a process.

Some things changed right away; others were a struggle. I was growing as a Christian, but old habits were still pulling me down. Each time I'd fall, I'd have doubts about whether I was really saved. I'd pray and ask God to forgive me, but I still had doubts. That's when I began to learn about faith.

As time went on and I continued to read and study the Bible, I saw that we are saved through grace by faith and not by trying to be good. I began to stand on God's promise in 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Sometimes, I can't "see" God moving in my life. But I know He is. I have faith that God will see me through. And when I fall or just totally blow it -- and I still do more times than I care to admit -- I have faith that God will not abandon me.

So this process continues, and God is still pruning me. As I look back and see how far God has brought me and all He has done, I am amazed at His love for me.

Wherever you are in the process -- whether you've been living for God for many years or you're just starting out -- press on. You will receive a great reward if continue to look to Jesus and faint not. Never give up. Keep pressing on!

No comments:

Post a Comment