Monday, August 16, 2010

Bunch Of Bull

No, I'm not writing about Congress. The rodeo was in town over the weekend. I loved to go to the rodeo in Pampa when I was growing up, but I haven't been to it in 15 years or more.

So I donned my cowboy hat and blue jeans and headed out to the Top O' Texas Rodeo. I'm sure you probably can't picture me in a cowboy hat, but I really do have one! After near 100-degree temperatures earlier in the day, it was a nice summer evening just to sit outside and watch some great bareback riding and calf roping.

My favorite events are the barrel racing and, of course, the bull riding. I always feel sorry for the cowgirls when they knock over a barrel and incur that five-second penalty. They work so hard for the fastest time. It must be so disappointing for them.

In the bull riding competition, the bulls won. Only a couple of cowboys stayed on the full eight seconds to get a score that night. They all put forth a valiant effort, though. It was a fun night....

********

I took a couple of steps the other day. A physical therapist screened me to try to determine if I could possibly re-gain the strength in my legs to help me to walk again.

I had been wanting to try to walk with the aid of parallel bars. I made it the length of the bars with the therapist holding onto me, of course. But my ankle turns over so much that I can't get my foot flat and straight enough to walk.

The therapist said if I walk again I will need a heavy brace on my leg to keep the ankle from turning in. If I decide to do therapy, I will go back for a full evaluation.

I'm not sure what to do yet. For now, though, I will just keep praying and believing.

No comments:

Post a Comment