Thursday, June 3, 2010

Summertime Fun

The carnival is in town and has set up shop just two blocks from my apartment. I can open the front door and hear the screams of excitement and smell all the fried food-on-a-stick luring me. I resisted as long as I could, but finally I gave in. I went to check it out.

I waited until evening when it was cool and then rode my scooter over to the lot which had been converted into a carnival midway. First, I rode through the midway to see what was there and what food I wanted to try first. That didn't take long.

I guess I was expecting a bigger midway like the Tri-State Fair in Amarillo. The fair has a big midway and a whole row of food vendors.

Pampa's carnival has a few of the same rides and only a couple of food stands. I don't ride the rides anyway but was hoping for a few more food choices. There was the usual carnival fare: corn dogs and cotton candy. I wanted an elephant ear or fried pickles. The funnel cakes smelled really good, but 6 bucks for a small funnel cake! I don't think so.

The high school band booster club had a food booth with more reasonable prices. I'd rather spend my money with them.

I enjoyed riding around watching the people. It's fun to see the excitement on kids' faces when they come zooming down the Super Slide. I also like to watch people when they get off The Zipper or Starship. Some of them look like they're ready to hurl. Can't beat fun like that!

I saw some people I knew out there and got to talk to some old friends. The carnival is here through Saturday, so I may go back and look around some more. Maybe I overlooked the elephant ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment