Monday, June 14, 2010

Burning The Bricks

There was a feeling of nostalgia around town over the weekend. The High Plains Cruisers had its annual Burnin' The Bricks weekend. There was a car show Saturday afternoon, a "burn out" contest and a drag night that evening.

There were more cars than I expected. Classic car owners from all around the region converged on Pampa's Recreation Park. I enjoyed roaming around out there checking out all the hot bodies... The cars weren't bad either (Bad joke, I know).

It was a fun time, seeing these classic cars and talking to other antique car fans. I love antique cars. I have a collection of die-cast 1950s and '60s toy cars, so I was in car heaven getting to see the real thing up close. My favorite at the show was a 1972 cherry red Pontiac Firebird convertible. I also liked the '50s Chevys and the '68 Plymouth Charger.

The car owners filled Pampa's downtown streets Saturday evening to "cruise the drag." People lined the sidewalks in their lawn chairs to watch the old cars parade down the brick streets of downtown. I found a good spot and sat in my truck to watch them cruise by.

The radio station even played hits from the '60s and '70s era to complete the nostalgic feeling. It was a neat way to spend a Saturday night. The event wrapped up Sunday with drag races at the airstrip north of town. I didn't go to the races, but I read about the races with prizes for the winners.

I'm glad that Pampa attracted an event like this. It's fun for the local folks, and it brings in people from the area, which helps the local economy. Hopefully, Pampa can bring in more events like this in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment