Sunday, June 20, 2010

Remembering Dad

I've been thinking about and remembering my dad today. In August, it will be four years since Dad passed away. It seems like a lot longer.

I've been remembering all the things he did for me and for his family. He was a mechanic, a repairman, a gardener and sometimes even a cook. Dad liked to cook. We didn't always care for all the things he mixed together in some weird combinations, but that didn't stop him.

I do remember those great hobo dinners he made when I was young. They tasted so good cooked out on the barbecue grill in the back yard. I haven't had one of those in years.

As the chief mechanic and repairman in our house, Dad kept my three-wheel bicycles going, which was no easy task. He fixed many flats and repaired a lot of broken chains through the years. When I started driving, he would check my car every time I came over. He wanted to make sure it was safe and that it wasn't going to break down on me. He was always thinking about things like that.

Dad was also an avid gardener. He grew all kinds of vegetables on a little strip of ground in our back yard. I didn't like vegetables much back then and still don't like some of them. But Dad was proud of his garden, and he shared the harvest with neighbors, family, friends and anyone else who would take it.

Of all the things he did for us, the most important thing was he set a godly example. He was always reading and studying the Bible. And Dad lived it out in his own life, putting God and his family first.

So on this Father's Day, I say thanks, Dad, for all you did for us. We love you and we miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment