Monday, February 15, 2010

Precious Memories

It was a pretty emotional weekend. As things begin to wind down for me here in Amarillo, it was time to say goodbye to some good friends. Not really goodbye, though, because I know I will see them again. If not in this life, I will see them in the rapture, which is very near.

The weekend started with the Tyler Street outreach. I haven't been able to help with the outreach for several weeks. I wanted to see my street brothers and sisters and hand out tracts one more time before I move.

I remember the first time I walked onto that parking lot nearly five years ago. I didn't know what to expect. Pastor Linney and a few others started the outreach with just a pot of beans to feed to the homeless in the downtown area.

Every Sunday, I would hear Bro. Linney give testimonies of the great things happening on Tyler Street. I was real curious, so one day I decided to go see it for myself. Then, I was hooked.

I was amazed at the number of people standing in the food line. There were 100-150 each week. I couldn't really help serve the food, but I watched as they went through the line. I wanted to do something to help but didn't know what. That's when I came up with the idea to pass out gospel tracts.

I stationed myself at the front of the food line and handed each one a tract as they went by. Some wouldn't take it, but most did.

Even though I don't know most of their names, I consider them friends. These are good people. They just need a little help. Some of the regulars would chat and joke with me. They became my friends. I don't know if they ever read the tracts, but if it made a difference in just one life, it is all worth it.

I am glad I was able to help with the outreach project. It made me see how fortunate and blessed I am. It could've been me -- or any one of us -- in that food line.

I will miss seeing those guys and all the volunteers. Thank you for letting me be a part of this great work. It has changed my life forever.

My busy weekend continued Saturday night. I had dinner with the Saturday Night Live group. SNL (not the TV show) is a group of singles who meet once a month for dinner. The interesting thing about the group is that we all have some kind of disability.

The group is small, but these people have become some of my dearest friends. We can relate to each other. It's neat, too, because when we go out together as a group it shows society that we are regular people.

I'm certainly going to miss these friends, especially Claire. I met Claire in the group, and we hit it off. She is one of the greatest and funniest people I know. She calls me on the phone to talk while other people are often hesitant to call me because they're afraid they can't understand me. Claire and I have had so much fun together over the years. I am proud to call her a friend.

After the dinner, I hurried over to the church, where the young adults had a farewell party for me. That meant more to me than they will ever know! This group has reached out to me and included me in the activities. I always loved going places with them because they are so much fun. I'll miss the Mafia, too!

Thanks for letting me be a part of Renew and for reaching out to me.

The hardest and saddest part of the weekend was saying goodbye to my church family. I am blessed to have been a part of First Assembly.

There are so many wonderful people whom I love dearly. But the Gray family especially had such an impact on my life. They took me in as part of their family and showed me such love. I can never thank them enough. This whole family is a true example of what it means to be Christ-like. May God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment