Saturday, February 16, 2019

Seize The Moment

Do all you can while you can!  That's been my motto as long as I can remember.  I truly believe that you have to make the most of every moment.  You never know when your life is going to take a sudden turn and the things you once took for granted are now things of the past.  I've discovered this firsthand.  I can't do many things today that I did just a few years ago.  Like driving.  I loved to drive.  It opened up a whole new freedom for me.  I was thinking about some of the "adventures" I had when I started driving.

I didn't start driving until I was nearly 24 years old.  It changed my whole world.  After being confined to a few city blocks on my three-wheel bicycle, I was free to discover the open road.  And that's what I did.  I became a weekend road warrior. 

One of my first roadtrips was Palo Duro Canyon.  It was only about 30 miles from my apartment in Amarillo, but the steep, winding roads down into the canyon were quite a challenge for this new driver.  I remember how nervous I was on those hilly roads, but I navigated the sharp turns like a pro.  I loved the breathtaking views in the canyon, and I went back many times.

Over the years, I also made roadtrips into nearby New Mexico to see Santa Rosa, N.M. (The Blue Hole); Santa Fe; Roswell, N.M. (UFO Museum); and Clovis, N.M. (Hillcrest Zoo).  I also made longer trips to Liberal, Kansas (Wizard of Oz museum); Cuchara, Colo; and my favorite trip to the Grand Canyon.  I enjoyed these trips so much and the memories I have of these places.

I haven't been able to drive since my neck surgery about five years ago.  I miss driving more than I miss anything else.  I'll always have those memories, though.  I'm glad I seized the moment and took those trips while I was able to go.

I read this quote that really sums it up: “It will be the things we haven’t done, rather than things we have done, that we will regret more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment