Thursday, February 21, 2019

Back In My Day...

It's official.  I'm old!  I came to that conclusion this past Sunday when I only knew the words to one of the worship songs we sang at church.  I had never even heard the other three songs that the praise team sang.

I like contemporary Christian music, but I guess I'm not keeping up with the times.  I don't know many of the songs we sing during the worship time.  I used to love listening to K-Love.  I even went on a K-Love music cruise in 2005.  I loved all the music on the cruise.  Music has changed a lot since then.  There seems to be more "Christian rock" on popular Christian stations like K-Love and Air 1. 

Now, I listen mostly to older praise music.  I like groups such as Phillips, Craig and Dean, especially their early music. 

With satellite radio and the Internet, you can find just about any genre of music from classic hymns to alternative Christian rap and rock.  I listen to the Adoration channel on Internet radio.  It has a mix of classic praise music and current Christian hits.

Does this make me an old fogey?  I sure hope not.  I turned 50 in October.  I got the senior discount at the movie theater the other day!  My taste in music is changing in my "old age"!  I don't like loud music, but I have to turn it up loud because my hearing is going.

Every generation goes through this change.  We like the music we grew up with, especially church music.  Mom used to say, "Back in my day, we sang hymns from the hymn book!"  She said she didn't know the words to these new choruses.  Now, I say the same thing about the modern church music.

In the end, it doesn't matter what style of worship music we have or even if we like the songs.  It's about praising God out of a sincere heart of worship.  God looks at the heart.  We should focus our praise on Him and not on waiting to hear our favorite song.

No comments:

Post a Comment