Friday, January 25, 2013

Five Reasons Why I Believe

We need to know what we believe and why we believe it. As Christianity comes under attack more and more in our nation, by the media and others, we should be able to contend for our faith. In 1 Peter 3:15, we're commanded to "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."

If someone asked why you believe, would you know how to answer? I didn't. I had put my trust in Jesus, but for a long time I didn't know how to explain my faith to others.

As I studied this more, I found five things I could point to in the Bible to show others why I believe. These are five reasons for my faith:

1. I have the promises of God. In John 3 and John 14, we're told that God loves us so much that He gave His son so we may have eternal life and that Christ prepares a place for us in heaven. We have the assurance that Jesus paid the price for our sin and if we believe in Him, we will have eternal life.

2. I know Jesus is the only way to God. In John 14:6, Jesus says, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." The Bible teaches that atonement must be made for our sin. No other religion offers atonement for sins. Christ's sacrifice on the cross is that atonement. No other religion offers this promise.

3. I know Jesus is the risen savior. Without Christ’s resurrection, we have no hope. In 1 Corinthians 15:14, it says, "And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith." The resurrection shows us His power over death which brings hope to all who believe.

4. Jesus appeared to many before He ascended into heaven. The fact that we have many eye-witness testimonies to Christ’s resurrection proves His victory over death.

5. Jesus fulfilled many prophecies concerning the Messiah. He fulfilled Old Testament prophecy in his birth, birthplace, return from Egypt and his early life in Nazareth. Other prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus: The Christ was to die by crucifixion. Others were to throw dice for his garments (Psalm 22:18). The Messiah would be a sin offering (Isaiah 53:5-12). The Messiah would rise from the dead (Psalm 16:10-11).

These are only a few reasons why I believe. I encourage you to look into the Bible and find reasons for your faith so you'll be ready to give an answer if someone asks why you believe. In this day when Christianity is under attack, we must always prepared to contend for our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment