Monday, June 25, 2012

Gone Country

I've been in heaven this past week since an area radio station started playing more classic country. It's the music from the 1980s, '70s, '60s and even earlier.

I grew up listening to this kind of music in the '80s (That tells you how old I am). Waylon, Willie and the boys.... those were the great ones of country music. The new crop of country singers today is so different. I do like some of them. I really like Taylor Swift. I think she's great.... and she's not a bad singer either. But I'm not interested in most of today's country music.

It's great to hear the old stuff again. Since the station in Perryton (98.3 KXDJ) switched to classic country last week, I've heard so many of my old favorites from Don Williams, The Statler Brothers, Anne Murray, George Jones and others.

Music has such a lasting impact. I haven't heard some of these songs in years but the minute a song starts, the words immediately come back to my mind and I know every word. It's strange how the mind works like that.

I like many kinds of music, except rap and hard rock. Country and gospel are my favorites, though. It's been fun re-living old memories through the music.

The station is still experimenting with the format to try to get the right mix of music. I hope it keeps it just like it is with plenty of those great old country songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment