Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Goodbye, Summer

It looks like summer's extreme heat wave has finally given up the ghost, and signs of fall are in the air. It couldn't come too soon for me. I'm definitely ready for fall!

It was in the 70s yesterday, which made for perfect weather for the annual Chautauqua festival that Pampa has on Labor Day. I went early in the day, and there was a nice cool breeze in the park. Some people even had jackets on. Those crazy people! I don't even get my jacket out until it hits 32 degrees.

I enjoyed riding through the park looking at the crafts booths. Some groups were giving out free food like watermelon and popsicles. I went for the cotton candy and a corn dog. (Those weren't free but sure hit the spot.)

I was surprised how many people I knew there. I hadn't seen some of them since last year's Chautauqua. I also met up with some friends from college who I hadn't seen in nearly 20 years. We were in classes together at Clarendon College-Pampa. That seems like so long ago now. We had so much fun at that little campus that used to be an elementary school. I had forgotten some of the things we did there until I talked to this couple yesterday. They reminded me how much fun we had. It was great to see them after all these years.

The festival also had plenty of music yesterday. Area musicians and school choirs performed on the bandstand throughout the day. I heard several good groups while I was there.

And now, with Labor Day and another Chautauqua finished, fall must surely be on the way. We can hope so anyway. Summer has definitely outstayed its welcome. So I will say goodbye to this long, hot summer and.... bring on the snow!

1 comment: