Monday, September 19, 2011

Faith & Politics

Talk-show host Laura Ingraham posted this question on her Facebook page: "When choosing a candidate, what role does the candidate's faith have in your decision to vote for him?" The question drew a lot of responses. While some said a candidate's faith (or lack of) doesn't influence their decision, many others said it is important to them.

In the media, candidates who talk about their faith are usually ridiculed. The media did it to George Bush and Sarah Palin, and now they're doing it to Rick Perry.

Faith matters to me. It does play a part when I am considering voting for a candidate. Perry was hammered when he said he believes he is "called" to run for president. But I believe God really does call people to be leaders. That is their assignment in life. I want leaders who are called by the Lord. In fact, I wish we had more leaders who look to God to guide them.

I'm thankful for men like Perry and others who are willing to step up and run for office. It is a calling.

Last night, I got to hear Pampa's new mayor speak at a men's fellowship. He is very eager to do what's best for the city and to work to make Pampa better now and for the generations after us. That was one reason I voted for him in our last election. I also voted for him because I know he is a Christian and a godly man.

That's also one reason I'm supporting Perry for president. He's done a good job as our governor for 10 years, and he's not afraid to talk about his faith, regardless of how the media and others may go after him.

The apostle Paul was bold in preaching the Gospel, and he was persecuted for it. That didn't stop him, though. He was even willing to die for the Gospel. Thankfully, candidates today are not persecuted to that extent, but they are often ridiculed for their Christian beliefs.

We should pray for them. We should pray that we have godly leaders in office, and we should pray that they will be bold in taking a stand for God while in office. Faith does matter, even in politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment