Monday, May 30, 2011

Return To Patriotism

Memorial Day is a day to celebrate freedom. It's about remembering our freedom and honoring those who paid a great price to give us that freedom.

I've always been very patriotic. I love this country and am proud to be an American. I think America is one of the greatest countries on earth and always will be. I wish everyone still felt that way. What's happened to pride in our country?

I remember the first Gulf War. I was in college at WT, and I wrote a column on patriotism for the student newspaper. It reflected how many people felt at a time when our country was going into war. It's how we should feel now. Here is part of that column:

******

"As I rode around campus this week, I was filled with a sense of pride for my country as I began to notice all the symbols of support for the troops in the Gulf.

Since the war began Jan. 16 (1991), several residence halls have been displaying the American flag to show support for the troops. In the past two weeks, I've seen yellow ribbons tied on trees all around campus and cars decorated with red, white and blue ribbons.

But the most striking act of support I've seen is the messages of encouragement the residents of Shirley Hall have painted on the front window of their hall. Signs saying "God Bless" and "We support the troops" show their concern and hope that the men and women in the Gulf will return home safely.

It makes me proud to be an American when I see such acts of patriotism not just on campus, but all around town and on the radio and TV. It's great that people are showing their support for the troops fighting in Saudi Arabia. These men and women are fighting for something a lot of Americans take for granted -- freedom. They deserve our support.

But I think people should show support for their country all the time. It's unfortunate that it takes something like a war to make people show their patriotism. It doesn't have to be that way. People don't have to wait for a holiday like the Fourth of July or Memorial Day to put out a flag. Why not fly the flag every day?

Ever since I was in elementary school and learned to say the pledge of allegiance, the flag has always had a special significance to me. I get a special feeling every time I see an American flag.

I'm glad I live in this country. America is a great nation, and I would not want to live anywhere else. I hope people will continue to support the troops. People should continue to fly the flag. Continue to write letters to the men and women fighting overseas. Continue to wear red, white and blue ribbons. And continue to pray for the troops!

I pray the war will be over quickly with as little loss of lives as possible. And when the war is over, let's keep the flags up. We have so many freedoms in America, and to me the flag is a symbol of all the freedoms we have in America."


******

I wrote that column in February 1991, but I feel just as strongly about patriotism today. America IS a great nation. Let's show our pride in America... today and every day!

1 comment:

  1. Amen. We take our freedom too lightly. Just observing the uprisings in totalitarian countries as they fight to overthrow tyrants and immediately fall into the hands of other tyrants, hearing of kidnappings and corruption in high places, and seeing the fate of those who, through no fault of their own, were born into a freedomless land, makes me ever thankful for our troops and for our government. I know there are problems in our own political system, but, compared to most of the world, it's great. There are still many honest people in leadership roles here.

    Thanks, Chris, for posting this.

    ReplyDelete