Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snow Day

I've been wanting snow this winter, and we finally got it! I didn't think we'd get all of our snow for the season (or most of it anyway) in one day, but that's the way it seems to happen in the Panhandle. Pampa got one of the higher amounts overnight, waking up to 8.5 inches of snow and huge drifts.

The drifts are amazing, almost as high as the tops of some cars. It's beautiful to look at! It makes me marvel at God's power to create such beautiful scenes. A lot of people don't like the snow and the hassles it causes, but I enjoy it. God gives us four distinct seasons here in the Texas Panhandle. Sometimes, we get all four in the same week.

So, a lot of people got a snow day today. School was canceled in Pampa, and many offices and some businesses are closed today. I loved snow days when I was growing up. Mostly, I liked the day off from school. I could go out in the back yard and play in the snow. That was such fun, even if my sister did pelt me with snowballs.

February is turning out to be a pretty active weather month so far. With last week's arctic blast and last night's near blizzard, I bet we can look forward to a baby boom in about nine months, you think? And we still have a lot of winter left to go!

*****

I hope that no one misunderstood the point of my blog post yesterday about church. It is important to go to church. In fact, some of us should probably go more often. If you're a new believer, it's really important to go and hear the gospel preached so you will get a solid foundation. My point was that if you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, you can be close to God wherever you are and we should do our best to live for God all week, not just at church on Sundays. So I hope that was clear in my post.

No comments:

Post a Comment