Monday, February 14, 2011

Music, Music, Music

Music can be a powerful force in our lives. It can evoke many emotions and memories. We all have those songs that bring back memories -- good ones and bad ones. I like many different kinds of music, and it's funny how my tastes in music have changed over the years.

I listened to mostly country music when I was growing up. I spent a lot of time with Willie, Waylon and the boys on the radio. I used to call in requests to the little country station we had in Pampa back then. I would listen to the radio late into the night.

When K-Love radio came around, I started listening more to contemporary Christian music. Praise and worship music makes me feel closer to God. It's definitely more inspiring than the honky-tonk music!

Lately, though, I've been listening to an oldies station. Amarillo has a really great oldies rock station, 100.9 FM "The Eagle," that plays music from the 1960s, '70s and '80s. The station plays a big variety of music. Jim Croce, Led Zepplin and The Beatles all co-exist together on the station.

Today, for Valentine's Day, the station is playing classic love songs. So far today, I've heard everything from Elvis and "Love Me Tender" to Sonny and Cher's "I Got You, Babe." They're playing a lot of country love songs today, too. It's some of the best music of all time.

Since I was never a big fan of rock music, some of the songs I hear on the station are new to me. I like many of them. Of course, the rock music of the '60s and '70s is much different than the rock of today. I still don't like most of today's rock music. But I'm enjoying the older stuff. Does that mean I'm getting old?

I thank God for music. It really does add a lot to our lives, and it's good to have a song in your heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment