Friday, November 12, 2010

Winter Finally Arrives

I love the first snow of the season. It's so pretty to watch it coming down, especially the big flakes like we had this morning. The ground temperature is still warm, so the snow is only accumulating on the grassy areas and cars. It's a beautiful blanket on the grass.

I was beginning to think winter was never going to get here. It's been unseasonably warm this fall. It was near 80 degrees earlier this week.

I've always liked snow, despite the hassles it can create. It's fun to play in. I admit I'm a bit of a dare-devil in the snow. I blame my brother-in-law for that. He may not remember this, but when he was dating my sister years ago, he would take Karen and me riding in his big yellow truck on snowy days. He was trying to scare me, I think, and he would do donuts in the snow in empty parking lots. I loved it, though!

And I still love it. I don't do donuts in parking lots... not on purpose anyway. My scooter is a little too low to the ground to go through deep snow, but it does good in light snow like we have today. It can do a few donuts.

I don't like the snow, though, when it leaves you stranded. The first year that I was in Amarillo, we got a big snow right before Thanksgiving. It was a major snowstorm. The newspaper had to pick us all up in the big delivery vans to take us to work for a few days. I was so disappointed because I didn't get to be with my family on Thanksgiving. It was the first time I hadn't been with them on a holiday.

I also got stranded on a roadtrip once. I had driven to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon. Mom wasn't with me on this trip. I was by myself on this one. (This was when I was young and still crazy enough to take trips alone.) When I started home, it began to snow. I only got to Flagstaff when I had to stop. It snowed all night, and the interstate was shut down for part of the next day. When the road finally opened, traffic was bumper to bumper for miles. It was quite an experience -- one I know I'll never forget.

With today's snow, it will probably all be melted by tomorrow. I think it's funny how the TV weathermen stand outside in only an inch or two snow and talk about it like it's the biggest blizzard to hit the area in years. Come on, guys! It's just a little snow.

Last winter, we had 29 inches of snow. That was above average for the Panhandle. This year, it is predicted to be a lot less. But I hope we have at least one really big snow this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment