Monday, March 11, 2019

Life Is Short

Actor Luke Perry died last week following a massive stroke.  He was 52.  That's only two years older than I am now.  It really hits close to home when someone close to your own age dies.  It makes you stop and think.  It makes you realize how short this life is and how suddenly it can come to an end.  I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

One of my cousins turned 57 last month.  That's the same age as her father (my uncle) was when he died.  My cousin posted memories of her dad on Facebook and how his life affected her outlook on life.  I also have many memories of him.  My uncle was a great man who died in the prime of his life.  He was one of the finest Christian men around.  He loved God, his family and his town (even if it was in Oklahoma), and he loved living.  His death shocked us all.  I've often wondered why such a good man had to die so young.

My Granddad Altman died when he was only 62.  He suffered a massive heart attack.  There were no warning signs.  He just went to bed one night and had a heart attack during the night.

I was 8 when he died.  It was the first time in my young life that I had experienced the loss of someone so close to me through death.  I had just seen my granddad the day before and then suddenly he was gone.  I didn't understand it. 

I still don't understand why some people live a long time and others die so young.  If you think about it, even if we live 100 years or more, that's still a short time when compared to eternity.

The Bible says life is like a vapor.   James 4:14 says, "You do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away."

We should remember this advice from author Steve Simons:

Life is short.
Too short to waste time.
Too short to hate.
Too short to live with regret.
Too short to give up.
Too short to give in.
Too short to accept defeat.
 
God’s promises are eternal.
God’s blessings last forever.
God’s love has no end.
God’s favor is boundless.
God’s goodness is limitless.

Life is short.  Eternity is long.  Live like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment