Friday, November 6, 2015

'Whatever Works'

The good thing about living in a small town is everyone knows your name.  The bad thing about living in a small town is... everyone knows your name. 
 
I'm not good at remembering names!  I recognize faces, but I don't have a clue who they are. But nearly everywhere I go I see someone who greets me by name.  This even happens when I'm out riding my scooter.  People will give me a shout-out, hollering "Hi, Chris!" out their car window.  Others will honk and wave (and most of the time it's not just the one-finger wave).

People also try to be helpful when they see me out on my scooter.  The other day, I was sitting at one of my usual hangouts, and a man in a van pulled up beside me.  He just wanted to check and make sure I was OK. On the side of the van, it said, "CareMore Health Services."  It was nice that he took the time to Care More.

Some people can be too helpful.  I was riding and enjoying the cooler fall-like weather, and I noticed a car passed me driving real slow.  I watched the car go to the corner and turn around.  Then, the car stopped, and a woman got out.  She ram up to me, saying, "Aren't you cold?"  As usual, I wasn't wearing a jacket (but at least I had on long pants instead of shorts).  Even after I assured her that I was OK, she kept insisting that I MUST be cold!  I had to hold back my inner Judge Judy who wanted to scream out "Hey, lady, it's 62 degrees NOT 32 degrees! I'm NOT cold!"  I don't even think about a jacket until the temperature dips below 40.

I know people just want to help, but sometimes I wish they would leave me alone and let me live my life as I see fit.  I've been doing this without their help for 40-something years.  It reminds me of the words of that old Billy Joel song, My Life:
 
"I don't need you to worry for me 'cause I'm alright /
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home /
I don't care what you say anymore this is my life /
Go ahead with your own life leave me alone."
 
 
I do appreciate those who try to help, and I'll ask for help when I need it.  If I really want to do something, I can usually find a way to do it.  It may not be the traditional way of doing it.  It may not even be the best way to do it.  But if it works for me, then what difference does it make?  That's become my mantra.... 'Whatever works.' 
 
So if I don't take your advice, don't be offended.  Just remember there's more than one way to do things.  And for me, the best way is 'Whatever works!'

No comments:

Post a Comment