Monday, November 23, 2015

Imagine Heaven (Part 2)

All of us long to know what life after death will be like.  In Imagine Heaven, John Burke compares over 100 gripping accounts of near-death experiences (NDEs) to what Scripture says about our future in heaven.

When people have a near-death experience, they often say they saw their whole life "flash before their eyes."  The NDErs in Burke's book report a similar experience when they visited heaven, having what they call a "life review."

But this life review isn't what you might think it is.  It's not a look back at your achievements and greatest moments on earth.  It's also not a review of your biggest sins.  If you've been saved, your sins have already been forgiven.... Jesus paid the price for your sins.

The NDErs describe the life review as a look at your actions and the ripple effects they had on other people.  For instance, how did your unkind words to someone make that person feel?  How did your angry outbursts affect those around you?  Or it could show you how your encouraging words blessed someone and helped them.

Our words matter to God.  The Bible says, " But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account."  I'm sure we're all guilty of saying things we shouldn't have said.  I know I am.

The NDErs report seeing lots and lots of books in heaven.  This is where God has recorded our every word, action and even our thoughts. God isn't showing us these things to condemn us.  Burke says the purpose of the life review is to ask ourselves, "Did I live my life for God?" and "Have I loved others the way God loved me?"

The main thing is love.  This is why Jesus said, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself."

NDErs say they felt such incredible love from God and our purpose in this life is to love God and show God's love to others.

Have you lived your life in love?  That's the question we'll all have to answer one day.  When we have our life review before God, will He see our love for others?  I know I have some work to do to improve the way I show love to others so that when I have my life review, I'll hear Him say, "Well done good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment