Monday, March 9, 2015

A Mother's Love

You've probably all heard of the great Saint Anne.  Christian tradition refers to Saint Anne as being the mother of the Virgin Mary and grandmother of Jesus.  Although not written about in the Bible, she certainly must have been a great woman of God to be called the "patron saint of women."  I know another saintly woman of God: Saint Annette.  I'm proud to say she's my mother!

Mom would probably quibble over someone calling her a 'saint' but it really does describe her.  I'm not the only one who thinks so.  I've had people say to me, "Your mother is such a saint!"  And I agree with them.  She really is a gift from God.

All my life, she has sacrificed her own comfort and well-being to take care of me, to try to make me happy and would do just about anything to get me what I wanted or needed.  Some would say she spoils me.  Yeah, I think she does, and I love every minute of it.

I can't count the number of hours she has sat with me when I was sick or down in my back.  She would come to Amarillo and stay for a week or two at a time when I hurt my back.  When I was in rehab last year, she came to Amarillo once or twice a week to see me.  Sometimes, she got up at 5 a.m. to ride the transit bus from Pampa to Amarillo. 

Even now, she comes to see me in the nursing home almost every afternoon.  There are days when I know she must be dog-tired, but she still comes.  Or there are times when she doesn't feel well herself, but she still comes, often bringing me my favorite fast-food treats.

Mom has always been a generous giver, giving not only to me but to others, too.  She blesses her family, her friends, neighbors and others with her giving.  One of the things I admire most about her is her faithfulness to God and to her church.  She's the only remaining charter member in her church and is faithful to attend.

She always sees the good in others and loves everybody....  Well, almost everybody.  She can't stand a certain politician who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.  She changes the TV any time he comes on.  I'm telling you, if my mom, Saint Annette, doesn't like someone, he must be a pretty bad dude!

Mom is starting to slow down a little bit.  I probably shouldn't tell how old she is.  Let's just say she's barely in her 70s!  I'm glad for all the fun times we have together, especially the road trips I talked her into taking.  We've been to Santa Fe, the Grand Canyon, Branson, and I'll never forget our cruise to the Bahamas.  Such great memories!  I'm glad we got to do that while we were both still able to travel. 

I know I don't tell her often enough, but I hope she knows how much I love her and appreciate all she does for me.  And for putting up with me all these years, she really is a saint!  I love you, Mom!

3 comments:

  1. Chris, I am sad to say that I have never had a chance to know your mom, but I have admired her from the days way back when your dad lived in the house next door to us. We kids in the neighborhood always knew when Charles had a date with your mom because we would see him out washing his car. Even that young we knew he was special and that he thought his "date" was special if he did that every time. Then I read your book and some of the things you have written, and I learned how she supported you through every difficult thing. So I agree she is an angel and I know I would have liked to really know her. She is special, just like all of the kids in the neighborhood thought was back then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, thanks for writing about your mom. She sounds like a really special lady!

    ReplyDelete