Thursday, February 19, 2015

Angels Among Us

I believe in angels.  I'm not talking about the heavenly beings that float around on a cloud while playing the harp (although I believe they do exist).  I'm talking about everyday people who are used as messengers of God to help or encourage those in need.

I met one such angel during my three-month stay at Kirkland Court Rehabilitation Center.  That started out as a low point in my life.  I had just been through back surgery.  I was stuck in a wheelchair that I couldn't push by myself.   I could hardly move my right arm at all.

One morning I was sitting at the breakfast table while the aide fed me a bowl of Fruit Loops (one of the few things that still tasted good to me).  From the other end of the hall, I heard this really loud voice, someone singing "JESUS LOVES ME, THIS I KNOW...."

"Who is THAT?" I asked.  I quickly found out THAT was Kathleen, a spunky 93-year-old who loves the Lord and isn't shy about telling others about her savior.  The first thing she asked me was, "Do you know Jesus as your savior?"  She always wears a big cross around her neck and carried her Bible with her in her wheelchair.

Kathleen seemed to take an instant liking to me.  Actually, I think she felt a little sorry for me.  I was quite a sight.  I often sat by myself in the dining room.  I had lost 45 pounds, and I had to wear that awful neck-and-back brace.  Every morning, I'd hear her coming down the hall singing as loud as she could.  One morning, though, she was singing a different song.  It was, "HEY, GOOD LOOKIN'  WHAT'S YA GOT COOKIN'?"  It made me laugh, and Kathleen loves to make people laugh!

Kathleen always knew the right thing to say to cheer me up.  One night after I'd been there only a short time and was feeling pretty low, she came over to me and said, "This is a good place.  We're going to take good care of you!"  After that, she did her best to look out for me.  I think she was even a little jealous. If another woman tried to talk to me, she'd say, "He's mine!"

She could also be mischievous at times.  I remember one Saturday when I was having a really bad day.  My neck brace was so hot and uncomfortable.  I could hardly stand it.  Some of my family was there, and the nurse wheeled Kathleen into my room.  She came over and gave me a little kiss on the cheek, and we talked for a few minutes.  Then, the nurse turned to take her out.  When they got to the door, Kathleen suddenly turned around and hollered out, "CAN YOU STILL PERFORM?" 

So much for the sweet little old lady image!  As you can imagine, the whole room erupted in laughter.  My mom and sister as well as my aunt and cousin all were rolling in the floor laughing.  I'm convinced Kathleen did it for the shock value.  She knows how to work a crowd to get a laugh.  It sure brightened my day, and it turned a really bad day into a memory I'll certainly never forget.

God used Kathleen to show me that I can still be happy despite bad circumstances.  Any time I was sad or feeling low, I would think about Kathleen coming down the hall singing "Jesus Loves Me."  If this spry 93-year-old can be so cheerful and happy all the time, then I can too!

I went back to see Kathleen when I was in Amarillo recently.  I don't think she recognized at first, but I talked to her a few minutes and she remembered me.  She even gave me a kiss on the cheek before I left.  I still think about her often and how God used her to bring some light into my life during a very dark time.  For that, Kathleen will always be my special angel!

2 comments:

  1. I love this story. I think the same thing. I know there ae angels here for each one of us. I think it is God's way of helping us get through hard times. Especially when you feel like you can't do it anymore. I know God has sent me little angels just like he sent you Kathleen. I love how much love God has for us and how he shows it to us in many ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story & beautiful soul!!

    ReplyDelete