Sunday, September 15, 2013

Friends

NOTE: I originally wrote this column in 2009 and am re-posting it now as it appeared in The Pampa News last week.

You can make a difference in someone's life by being a friend. As followers of Christ, we're called to help the widows and the needy and to encourage each other. Proverbs 17:17 says a friend loves at all times and is willing to share in adversity.
 
People come into and out of our lives all the time. We should cherish the time we have with our family, our friends and others in our lives because we never know how much time we'll have with them. I think of a few of those who have made a difference in my life by being a friend:
 
I think of that friend from childhood who didn't look at my differences but just wanted to spend time with me. Our differences didn't matter to him when we were riding bikes together (or when we crossed that highway we weren't supposed to cross). We just had fun.
 
I think of that high school teacher who devoted extra time to help me develop my writing skills. She saw something in me that no one else saw and worked to bring it out in me.
 
I think of the one in college who was a true friend to me during the loneliest time of my life. When no one else was around, he was there to listen and encourage me. He was in my life for just a short season, but I will remember him for a lifetime.
 
I think of that college professor. He pushed me to try harder and go further, and that has made all the difference. He could be hard on me at times, but I needed that. I wouldn't be where I am today if not for him.
 
I think of that friend who sat by me in church. This simple act of kindness meant so much to me and showed me that someone does care.  I think of the Sunday school teacher who taught me who I am in Christ. He showed me the meaning of John 10:10 and what it means to live life to the full. My life has been made richer because of him.
 
I think of that family who reached out to me. This very special family is a true example of what it means to be Christlike. I am honored to know them.
 
And there have been many others who, whether they realized it or not, have had a definite impact on my life. I thank God for these, and I pray that I can be that kind of friend to them and to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment