Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Reflections

Cherish the simple things. A meal with your family. A leisurely afternoon drive. A moment spent in prayer. These are the things that make life worth living.

 
******
The tragic tornadoes in Oklahoma make me realize how quickly everything can change. As a child of God, I'm thankful that He protects me and keeps me from harm. Still, I live in this world where tragedy is a reality and where bad things happen to good people.

In a moment of time, life can change forever. That was demonstrated yesterday when the tornadoes ripped through Oklahoma, destroying the lives of hundreds and even thousands of good people.

I think about those 24 young children who are believed to be buried in the rubble of the school, and it breaks my heart for their families. I wonder why this happened to innocent children, and I don't understand it. On this side of heaven, I will never understand. I don't think any of us can understand it.

We have personal tragedies in life, too, and I struggle to understand them also. As I get older and mobility becomes more of a challenge for me, I don't pretend to understand it. But I choose not to focus on the hard times. I've come to see that I am totally dependant on God. We all are. We were designed to depend on Him moment by moment, and apart from Him, we can do nothing. If we will accept that, we can make it through anything. I am still learning to surrender to Him, realizing that I need Him more every day.

A friend posted something on Facebook, and it has blessed me through the tough times. She said:

"Concentrate on doing your everyday tasks in awareness of My Presence with you. The Joy of My Presence will shine on you, as you do everything for Me. Thus you invite Me into every aspect of your life. Through collaborating with Me in all things, you allow My Life to merge with yours. This is the secret not only of joyful living but also of victorious living.

Be thankful for quiet days, when nothing special seems to be happening. Instead of being bored by the lack of action, use times of routine to seek My Face. Although this is an invisible transaction, it speaks volumes in spiritual realms. Moreover, you are richly blessed when you walk trustingly with Me through the routines of your day."
 
 
That is good advice for us today. Instead of letting the tragedies of life overwhelm us and drag us down, focus on God and His goodness. He will see you through.

No comments:

Post a Comment