Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Bible Top 10 List

John 3:16 is one of the best known verses in the Bible. I remember learning it in Sunday school when I was young, and most of us can probably quote it: "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

That's definitely a popular verse. It got me to thinking: What are the other most popular verses in the Bible? I found a survey on the most-read Bible verses and thought it would be interesting to share the results. BibleGateway.com, an Internet Bible resource site, crunched some numbers from a sample of 25 million Bible passage searches and compiled the top 10 most-read Bible verses:

1. John 3:16

2. Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

3. Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

4. Philippians 4:13: "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

5. Genesis 1:1: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

6. Proverbs 3:5: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."

7. Proverbs 3:6: "In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

8. Romans 12:2: "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is — his good, pleasing and perfect will."

9. Philippians 4:6: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

10. Matthew 28:19: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

If you’re curious to know what the least popular Bible passage is, it’s 1 Chronicles 23-27, according to BibleGateway.com. This passage details the organization of the priests and officials under King David. I encourage you to spend time reading the Bible each day and discover your favorite verses. Meditate on the scriptures, and it will make a difference in your life.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Jeremiah 29:11 is my "life" verse. I've held onto it through a lot of rocky times. Apparently, I'm not the only one. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that your assertion about most of us being able to quote John 3:16 is true anymore. I don't know that in many of today's "churches", we're truly reaching our children with even the basics of God's love, but I still have hope in Him!

    ReplyDelete