Monday, February 25, 2013

Did someome say 'Snow'?

It's the 'Blizzard of the Century'! Not really. That's just how this snowstorm is being hyped on TV. I know it's a serious and dangerous storm, but come on, it's nothing we haven't seen before in the Texas Panhandle. I admit this is a pretty impressive storm. Some parts of the area have 12 inches of snow already and 4-foot drifts!

In the Panhandle, we're used to snow. We're used to wind. Put them together, though, and everyone freaks out, especially TV weathermen. If you listen to them, you'd think this is 'Snowmageddon.'

It's funny to watch the TV coverage of the storm. They have one weatherman stationed "out in the field," which is code for just out the back door in the parking lot. Then, there's another weatherman in studio, and he gives the "very latest conditions," which is code for "Hey, it's still SNOWING!" I think we can figure that out if we look out the window.

Before the storm, people made a run on grocery stores and gas stations. The stores were packed with people stocking up on food. Come on, do you really think you're going to run out of food if you have to stay in the house for two days? I didn't stock up before the storm, but I really don't think I'm going to starve. If you do run out of food, you can run out for some great snow ice cream. I used to love that as a kid. Just watch out for the yellow kind!

All schools in the area were closed today, and some businesses shut down. That's good. Everyone needs a Snow Day! But it's funny because as soon as the snow stops flying, people want to get out and head over to the park to slide down the hill on cardboard.

Some people have been stranded because of the blizzard. My two aunts were here over the weekend and were supposed to leave today. I think they're going to be here awhile! I told my aunt from Wisconsin that I ordered the snow so she'd feel at home while she's here.

A lot of people hate the snow. You can't do anything about it, though, so you might as well settle in and enjoy it. If everyone just uses a little common sense, we're all weather the storm fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment