Friday, December 28, 2012

New Year, New Commitment

In the business of faith, like the business of life, if you aren't moving toward God, you are moving away from Him. It's a choice we make. We can choose to stay where we are, or we can make the decision to move closer to God. The start of the new year is the perfect time to make the decision to press in and go deeper in your walk with God. It's not a decision to take lightly. It takes time, commitment — and a lot of hard work.
 
New year's resolutions are hard to keep and seldom last. Instead of resolutions, I like to start the year by making fresh commitments for moving closer to God. Here are a few things I'm committed to in the new year:
 
I will draw closer to God in prayer. James 4:8 says, "Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you." If we're willing to take that first step toward God by spending time in prayer, He will draw near to us. He will make Himself known to us when we begin to pray and seek Him.
 
I will be a stronger disciple of Christ through Bible study. In 2012, I was committed to reading through the entire Bible. In the new year, I want to do more than just read the Bible. I want to study the Scriptures and learn to apply them to the situations in my life. The Bible is a pattern for all of life. If we will follow it, it will change our lives and move us closer to God.
 
I will be a better witness for the Lord. The Bible says there will be false teachers in the last days who will deceive many. Even some believers will be deceived. We're seeing that today. That's why it's important to warn our friends and family not to give in to the ways of the world. 
 
These commitments may seem like small steps, but they're part of the process that takes me closer to God instead of away from Him. Where will I be a year from now? It's up to me and whether I stick to these commitments. God doesn't move. I must make the move toward Him.
 
How about you? Is your life moving toward God? If not, take some time to think about where you are with God and where you want Him to take you in 2013. Then, take the first step toward Him. He will meet you where you are and take you on a great new adventure in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment