Friday, March 11, 2016

Every Day Counts

Pampa has seen more than its share of tragedies in the last two weeks.  Between a shooting in town, a fatal car-train collision and a stabbing incident, four young men, ranging in age from early 20s to mid-30s, left this life far too early.

I've also attended two funerals in the last month.  My cousin Carla died suddenly, apparently from a massive heart attack.  She was 54.  A friend from church also passed away after a brief bout with cancer.  She lived to be 80.

All of this has made me start thinking. How can I make each day count?

Psalm 90:10 says "Seventy years are given us! And some may even live to eighty. But even the best of these years are often empty and filled with pain; soon they disappear, and we are gone."
 
The truth is we don't know how long we'll have on this earth.  But whether it's a few years or many, it's such a brief time compared to the eternity we face after this life.  I've always believed we have to make the most of every moment.  Make every day count and even take a few risks along the way.  Dare to take a chance on something.
 
When I was working on my book, someone asked me why I was writing my story while I was still so young.  (I was still in my 20s when Through Eyes of Faith was published.)  I told them I wanted to write the book while I was able to do it, physically and financially.  You just never know how fast things can change in life.
 
In one of my favorite songs, The River, Garth Brooks sings: 
 
"Too many times we stand aside
And let the waters slip away
'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow
Has now become today
So don't you sit upon the shoreline
And say you're satisfied
Choose to chance the rapids
And dare to dance the tide."
 
That's how I try to live my life every day.  This life can change in an instant.  One event can change our course forever.  I've learned that firsthand.  I never expected to be living in a nursing facility at the age of 47.  I'm thankful for the help I have here, but I'm not content to just sit around and let life slip away around me.  I want to get out and live the life I have to the full (John 10:10).  That's why it's important for me to be able to ride around town on my scooter the way I do.  It's liberating.  So when the Head Honcho tells me not to ride too far, I only smile and continue on my way.
 
Most of my family is gone to a family gathering near Austin this weekend, but I wasn't able to go with them.  Of course, I was disappointed and a little sad, but I'm happy that they all have a chance to get together.  I'm especially glad my mom can still travel and can enjoy this weekend, and I'm thankful for all the memories of the trips Mom and I took together.  We will always remember that cruise to the Bahamas!
 
And I'm going to keep living my life the best I can and make every day count.  So if you have things on your bucket list that you've always wanted to do, don't put them off until later in life.  That may be too late.  Do it now and you'll be able to make every day count.

No comments:

Post a Comment