Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Circle of Life

Life is a funny thing.  It can take you 'round and 'round in this world, but you often end up right where you started.  As I sit here typing, I can look out my window and down the street I see a bank building.  That bank building was once a hospital.... the hospital where I was born.  Now, I find myself in a nursing home less than half a mile from where I was born.  Interesting, isn't it?

I've also discovered that some people come into and out of your life, and some of them reappear in your life years later.  It's the circle of life.

Since I've been in the nursing home, I have reconnected with several friends from the past.  One of them, Mildred, was my Sunday school teacher when I was in about the third grade.  She had an influence on my life when I was young.  Now, she's in a room just down the hall, and we eat breakfast together at the same table.

Another dear lady, whom we all call 'Little Granny,' worked in the children's church ministry for more than 50 years.  She's now nearly 90 and is a resident here at the nursing home.  She may be nearly 90, but she still has some pep in her step.  She even dances!  They evaluated her recently, and the therapist asked her if she could walk across the room.  She jumped up and started dancing across the room.  She spreads a lot of cheer around here and is an inspiration to all.

Then, there's Johnnie, who has been a friend of my mom's and our family for many years.  Johnnie's family and my grandparents were neighbors when Mom was just a little girl.  They went to church together for years.  Johnnie is now 95 and was recently honored for her service and faithfulness to attend the same church for almost 85 years.

It's neat to get to be around these special ladies along with other longtime friends Maxine and Carolyn, the mother of one of my schoolmates.  I'm glad they are all part of my circle of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment